Sunday, August 16, 2009

All About Rocks

We have been learning about Earth's land and more specifically rocks and minerals. Please share anything and everything you have learned about where rocks come from, how they are made, and different types of rocks. Happy writing young geologists. (Please use your scientific notebook to help you generate ideas for this essay.)

15 comments:

CLINTON said...

What habbits of mind we can use on and off the feild is team work.For an example lets say that JOE hogs the ball on the soccer feild and the other team takes it from him.But if he passes it around to his teammates the other team wont take it from us so much and we will make more goals.Then a way we can use team work in the in the classrooom is lets say how we all sit into three groups that we all the people at all of those groups were having a competition .And the group that does there very best they will get some of thos colorful twizlers that MRS.FISHER gives out to us if we do something good.So one of the teams that were doing a great job won and the way that they won is from using great team work.That is why we all should consider using team work.

Andrew Jackson said...

I have learned many things about rocks. First, I have learned about the three types of rocks. The first one is igneous. The second one is metamorphic. The third one is sedimentary. Igneous comes from volcanoes, Metamorphic comes from mountains, Sedimentary comes from water. Next, ther4e is this rock called gorge and when there is a crack and water goes into it it forms crystal. Finally, I have learned that crystals turn into minerals and minerals turn into rocks. That's what I learned about rocks.

Jefferson said...

I have learned about rocks. A whole bunch this year i have learned. Some rocks come from lava.

gradfeald said...

We have beenworking on rocks and how they mand out of.I learndthat rocks are made out f different tips of minerol.

g.washington said...

Something I learned in science is about rocks,crystal, and mineral. The crystal turns into a mineral and mineral turns into a rock. Also the igneous rock comes from a volcano , but the lava doesn't always come out.There is to type of sedimentary rocks. Metamorphic has two kind of rock too. My favorite rock is metamorphic what is your's.

johnson said...

Did you know that Pumice is a rock it comes from lava shot out of a volcano.It cools with air bubles in it because of the bubbles it floats.Basalt comes from magma.Granite comes from magma as well.Granite is speckeld. Some of the speckels shine. It is a heavy rock. Shale is mud that has been squezzed into a rock. Limestone is made os shells sank to the bottom ok the sea WHERE they were pressed togerther and stuck together. Dand stone is made of layers of sand that have been squezzed into the rock.Did you know that sand stone becomes quartize, shale becomes slate, and limestone becomes marble. There is 3 different types of rocks they are igneous,sedimentary, and metomorphic.I hope that now you are a expert for readiny my scintific sheet!♥

CLINTON said...

As a geologists from me and all of my other classmates have been studying for I think for at least 2 weeks now.And what I learned about rocks is that rock come from inside the earth .But what I really think that is the most inportant informaion is that the really soft rocks come from deep deep downj in the earth like it isw a lava rock and the hard .And the hard and bumpy rock comes from still down in the earth but closer up.that is pretty much what i have learner.the end

harrason said...

this passed kapals of week of sience I lerand that rocksare miner als.First,I lerand that the hardest rock is the dimend.Then I lerand that chak is a rock.Finaly,that is what I lerand .

lincoln said...

What I learned about is rocks and earths land.What I learned about earths land is that salt is made out of rock and other kind of cemicles.Also what I learned about is that there is igneous rocks,metamorphic rocks,and also sedimentery rocks too.What I learned about earths land is that most of the earth is made out of rock.That is what I learned about rocks and earths land.

hayes said...

The difference of a rock and a mineral is that the rocks have a lot of minerals. If a rock is cracked and if water goes in the rock it will create crystals.

harding said...

This whole part of 5th gade we learned about rocks and minarels .I learned weathing can cause
erosions.I learned some minarels can make a rock.
the hardest rock is a diamond.Igneous rock are made out of volcano.

nixon said...

These weeks we have been studying about rocks and what they are.I learned that minerals are formed by crystals,and rocks are formed by minerals,and other times animals and weathering.There are three types of rocks we have been working with are:Igneous,Metamorfic,and Sedementary rocks.Igneous rocks are lava rocks wich means they are formed by lava.Metamorfic rocks are rocks that are always changing.Sedementary rocks are rocks that are formed by lots of tiny minerals and other things.I also learned that many sedementary rocks usually contain fossils inside of them.A few days ago we learned about four different types of minerals:#1 is Calcite,#2 is Quartz,#3 is Gypsum,and #4 is Fluorite,my FAVORITE!With those minerals we were able to do a scratch test.We figured out that Gypsum is the softest mineral,Calcite is the second softest mineral,Fluorite is the third hardest mineral,and Quartz is the hardest mineral out of the four different types of minerals.

polk said...

I learned that minerals are rocks. Rocks are big and small also the biggest rock is our planet earth. If a rock has a crack in it and water goes in it, it will create crystals. Rocks are hard but there are different kinds of rocks. like a shark tooth is a rock but people say it's not a rock. That is what I learned about rocks.

jfk said...

The hardest rock is a dimmoned.The softest rock is guypsun.Volcanos have molten rock.Faccilse are rocks.we Sat salt,salt is a cristel.

f.d. roosevlt said...

Igneous rocks come from underground. Some cools slowly underground and some quckily. Sedimentary rocks are made from rocks that have been pressed together. A kind of sedimentary rock is a limestone that are made of shells.